Nuffnang Ads

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

R-E-G-O

Recently (few months ago actually), I have been entranced by the Japanese culture due to the release of the new Tomb Raider game. I know this shouldn't be the reason why I should learn things but hey, I'm learning. Anyway, I started teaching myself the Japanese language, specifically writing and reading. I don't want to go into speaking just yet because I'm genuinely not good with vocation, even with English and Mandarin.

However, I'm easily sidetracked by other things such as my new hobby: taking LEGO photos for my Instagram. This kinda put my lesson on Japanese language on the sidelines for a while. Right now, I'm trying very hard to at least learn the basic hiragana before I move on to other more complex stuff. You have no idea that some words consist of the same letter but pronounce differently. I would not go into that for now.

Basically, I sort of understand the structure of the hiragana, katakana and kanji as well as when to use them. Again, not gonna go into that because this is a LEGO post. So, I thought to myself: "Hey, why not write the word 'LEGO' in Japanese". For those of you who know the language, this means I have to look under katakana because LEGO is a foreign word. After some searching, I finally found that LEGO in Japanese is レゴ (rego).

Apparently, the Japanese language does not contain a word that sounds like "L". That is why you pronounce LEGO as rego. Don't look me, I'm not the one who came up with the language. Anyway, there you have it and before I sign off, check out the picture below.


No comments:

Post a Comment